At the EuroBLECH 2018 exhibition, Bystronic is presenting the networked world of sheet metal processing.
- FoodPacific Manufacturing Journal 2018-03
- HOW do you define innovation and how do you keep it alive in your company? In our special report, Dr Miflora Gatchalian, CEO of Quality Partners, Inc., does a run-through of innovation management, from definition to product development. She says, “There are various approaches to innovation which are useful in the food industry and depending on the company’s strategic plans, a proper choice can be made. Current findings indicate that the ‘radical’ type of innovation gives the highest returns on investment.” Note that innovation does not rest on one department alone. An aha moment can lead to a major innovation, one that can change what we eat or the way we eat it. Take Mathias P. Clausen’s curiosity of turning jellyfish into something munchy like potato chips. If you’re not familiar with Clausen’s work yet, read the article on page 33. This postdoctoral fellow at University of Southern Denmark in Odense, is on to something. Also in this March issue, we bring you trends and developments in liquid products – liquid foods and liquid smoke flavourings. Ou
- Food Manufacturing Journal - Middle East 2018-02
- THE World Health Organisation says “obesity nearly tripled between 1975 and 2016” worldwide, and we know this to be a result of unhealthy eating habits or poor choices in food, coupled with inadequate physical exercise. Much has changed since 1975, obviously, and now it’s easier to gain weight. Back then, home-cooking was the norm; today, its convenience. We’re practically surrounded by restaurants, markets, 24-hour convenience stores, and vending machines. But it doesn’t necessarily mean we are surrounded by healthy food. It takes effort to seek, purchase, prepare and then stick to a nutrient-dense, low-calorie diet. Isn’t it faster to grab a packaged product and go back to our computers? But then again with the growing health concerns associated with bad diets, surveys show consumers are realising the need to go back to the discipline of healthy eating. Innova Market Insights coined it “mindful choices.” In fact most trends in 2018 point to consumption of simpler and more natural foods and products. In its website, the UN agency also recommends the food indus
- FoodPacific Manufacturing Journal 2018-02
- In the February issue of FoodPacific Manufacturing Journal, we bring you exclusive interviews with food ingredients manufacturers in our attempt to gather their outlook for the year and the R&D route they are taking to be able to provide you with ingredients for texture, colour, taste, shelf life, and health benefits. Year after year, more natural ingredients for everyday products like breads, chocolate, sauces, yogurts, and preserved meat, are meeting new requirements in terms of overall quality and of course, reduced cost. We talked to companies that invest heavily in R&D like Arjuna, Chr. Hansen, Epi Ingredients, Ingredion, and Tate & Lyle, all of whom expressed optimism in the diverse South East Asian market where products now call for better sugar substitutes, fibre enrichment, natural preservatives, and low-fat alternatives. Probiotics have become one of the sought-after health add-ons in food and beverage as well. So, we reached out to Ganeden which is currently marketing their probiotic products in SE Asia., New Editorial Board member We are pleased to int
- International Metalworking News for Asia 2018-02
- Every year the business world is overloaded with buzz words, and the metalworking supply chain sector is no different. In 2017, there was a lot of talk about innovation, digitalisation, and automation. Technology is at the centre of many of these changes, as organisations consider how big data, artificial intelligence, robotics, machine learning, and more can transform their businesses. The manufacturing supply chain is a reasonable place to start leveraging new technology for good business value. Five industry experts weighed in on which trends we’ll be looking for in the 2018 manufacturing supply chain in Asia. Find out more in this month's Outlook section. If you’re looking for a cutting machine that can widen your boundaries, a laser cutting machine has a universe of possibilities. Buying your first laser cutting machine can be a daunting challenge, especially if you’re budget-minded. TRUMPF is introducing a new laser cutting machine, the TruLaser 2030 fiber. Equipped with up to four kilowatts of laser power, which is remarkably productive. Machine shops
- International Plastics News for Asia 2018-2
- PLASTINDIA is geared as a world-class event with its transfer to a state-of-the-art exhibition venue. For the first time, we carry a Special Supplement on this fast-growing trade event where we present the show’s highlights, the products on exhibit and exhibitors’ contact details. A mini-section on PLASTINDIA is also up on www.industrysourcing.com/plastics so you can get the latest news and coverage exhibition before, during and after the event. High-pressure resin transfer molding has become a suitable option in the production of lightweight components and complex parts. New developments will see this process getting more sophisticated and more responsive to market requirements. Many innovative materials and processing technologies are being developed in the automotive industry and these are worth being recognized in the light of the leading trends in transportation. This issue presents the winners of the recent award-giving body and their valuable contributions to the automotive sector.
- FoodPacific Manufacturing Journal 2017-12
- THIS is the first December issue of FoodPacific Manufacturing Journal and comes out only online. We hope you find inspiration in the story of Mr La Ty, whose love for gelato stirred him into building his own brand, La Pops, in Cambodia. While in the section on health and nutrition, we put together updates on products and scientific research, including updates on antioxidants. Also in this issue, we share three case studies – Bosch Packaging Technology on the biscuit industry in Germany; Renishaw on its vacuum casting technology; and Veolia on its waste water treatment technologies installed in the Ovaltine facility in Thailand. The Asia Food and Beverage Summit Last month, Ringier was in Indonesia for the 3rd Asia Food and Beverage Summit (October 31-November 1) at the JS Luwansa Hotel in Jakarta. As support to Ringier Events, a small team of hard-working colleagues, I am pulled in from day one to help see the project through well until the post-show reports are out. There’s a very long to-do list, and on the day of the event itself one can only hope that the
- International Metalworking News for Asia 2017-12
- It is clear; the market for connected equipment and devices will continue to grow. But, as product designers and engineers face the challenges of building smart products, they are realising they need faster, better, smarter tools with which to create them. Part of that solution is to use tools capable of bringing all the disparate processes onto a single, unified platform. Global high-tech companies are melding Industry 4.0, automation and big data to create metalworking equipment, tools and solutions that will build empires in the industrial manufacturing. They are developing healthy ecosystems that can carry their strategies and values far. Whatever the situation, Industry 4.0 is here, and manufacturers all over the world are doing their best to prepare. At this issue’s 2018 Outlook Report, industry leaders and senior executives share their views and initiatives on Industry 4.0, and the current and future of metalworking industry, as part of their overall efforts toward automation and big data in manufacturing. The adoption of Industry 4.0 is indeed a major d
- International Plastics News for Asia 2017-12
- This is the last issue for the year, and again, we are happy to present the special report – Outlook 2018 – a compilation of valuable insights from industry experts on what they perceive will be the trends and developments in the plastics and rubber industry in 2018. We also asked them what products they will highlight in 2018 and majority of them presented their product portfolio, all geared for plastics manufacturers wanting to achieve smart manufacturing. Recycling technologies have become more sophisticated, providing one-stop solutions to processors aiming for enhanced efficiency, energy saving and high product quality. And in this issue, we look at the latest additions to the range of recycling systems and how these value-added functions can benefit processors. Three trade exhibitions in Asia were covered by the Ringier Trade Media Editorial team – T-PLAS in Thailand, VietnamPlas in Vietnam, and ALLPACK in Indonesia. Read our post-show reports to learn the interesting insights from these shows’ exhibitors. As the year 2017 ends, there is much optimism i
Flavouring technologies that use nutritionally-balanced ingredients are best for reformulating meat recipes, writes DIMITRIOS TZOUVELEKIS*.
Many canned foods have seen their share of reformulations, but they can’t quite shake off the “unhealthy” label.
Solid Edge University this year was conducted in Indianapolis. Siemens employees, developers, channel partners, and the press attended the 3 day gala event.