"It should be easy and quick to change inserts," says Zeb Allansson, cutting tool engineer at WhizCut, about the latest innovation. WhizFix 2.0 has been developed for seamless tool changes in the machine.
WhizCut launched a new modular tool holder system with quick-change capabilities at EMO Hannover 2023. The innovation, WhizFix 2.0, is ideal for all external machining in swiss type lathes, significantly reducing setup and tool change times.
WhizCut was founded around the first quick change system WhizFix, 27 years ago. Easy indexability and increasing productivity for its users has been the backbone of WhizCuts developments since then.
The system is designed to allow machine operators to index inserts in swiss lathes without losing valuable time. With the unique click-in/click-out interface between the holder and the insert head, changes can be made quickly and with stability. Stability and reliability have been guiding principles for WhizCut throughout the development process of this new modular system, which is an upgrade from its predecessor, WhizFix. The original pin holder system has been updated based on customer feedback, focusing on the combination of user-friendliness, reliability, and flexibility.
Key features of WhizFix 2.0:
- Click-in/click-out coupling: developed for faster changes, with a newly designed feature that makes changing insert heads extremely smooth and quick.
- Enhanced precision: one of the most crucial features of WhizFix 2.0 is its ability to maintain stability and reliability at a consistently high level, change after change. The modular tool system offers the same precision as a solid holder, ensuring that the insert head returns to the exact same position every time.
- Stability: the unique interface between the holder and the insert head is exceptionally sturdy, providing the same stability as a solid holder.
- Minimalistic design: WhizFix 2.0 is no larger than a solid holder, making it easier to secure firmly, resulting in finer details and a longer tool lifespan.
- Cooling system: featuring a system prepared for both through-coolant and one system without high pressure coolant, with reduced costs.
— It should be easy and quick to change inserts, says Zeb Allansson, explaining the line of thought behind the streamlined design of WhizFix 2.0:
— A customer once told me "When developing tools, keep in mind that if chips can get stuck somewhere on the tool, chips will get stuck". This is something that we at WhizCut have really taken to heart and therefore the WhizFix 2.0 is designed without any screws sticking out, and it has the same geometry as a regular holder.